Looking for a healthy breakfast idea in summer?
No time in the morning to prepare the breakfast?
Then overnight oats is a perfect option! You don’t need to spend one second in the morning preparing it. It doesn’t require any cooking. All you need to do is to put everything together the night before.
The other reason I like it is that you can change the toppings every day. Mixed berries and chia on Monday, mango and almond on Tuesday, apple, cinnamon and walnuts on Wednesday, banana and hazelnuts on Thursday…
- Rolled oats as a whole grain, and low GI carb to boost fullness feeling. Beta glucans, a type of soluble fiber could help lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Milk and yoghurt are a great source of calcium, which is very important for bone health. If you want to choose plant-based milk please check the nutrition information panels, better to choose the one fortified with calcium. Yoghurt also contains probiotics, which could help restore your gut health.
- Seeds and nuts are rich in a variety of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and good fatty acids. Research suggested people who eat nuts and seeds (in moderating) may stay slimmer
- Fruit is full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and gives you a natural beautiful sweet taste
Here is my favourite recipe. Feel free to use different milk, fruits, nuts and seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (don’t use quick oats, rolled oats is lower GI and more filling)
- ½ cup milk (feel free to use plant-based milk)
- 2tbs plain greek yoghurt (feel free to use plant-based yoghurt)
- 1tsp chia seeds / linseeds / flax seeds
- Fruits and nuts as you choose (feel free to use fruit stew if don’t like fresh fruit)
- 1tsp of honey if you need it a little sweeter (optional)
Grace (Daiqing) Yu: Dietitian
Grace graduated from Flinders University with a Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics. She has a strong passion for food and cooking and is well-exposed to both Asian and Western cultures and cuisine. Grace believes everyone should enjoy food while also staying healthy and feeling good! She provides a nutrition assessment and can tailor an individualised meal plan to develop sustainable healthy eating habits that fit into your lifestyle.
More info can be found here